Flasher Archive

Subject: FLASH: File Download Size with Multiple Identical Files
From: David Jacobs
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:28:15 GMT

I'm starting to mess around with dynamic Flash by passing querystring
parameters to a Flash file. In one of my tests, I'm using the same small swf
about a hundred times on one page. Each one is displaying different text
(based on a loop of passed variables culled from a database). My question is
whether the swf only needs to be downloaded once, or whether each instance
of it is seen as a different file (especially since the URL is different for
each - per the querystring). I am including all font outlines in the file,
so having to download hundreds of them would be unfeasible. Any definite
information on this would be very much appreciated.

Also, is this process very server intensive? Is there a more efficient way
to display dynamic Flash content without Generator? A single Flash file with
a loop doesn't seem do-able, as I need to be able to accommodate as much
data as is available at the time, and movie size can't be changed on the
fly. (I don't want to use Flash scroll bars.)

Thanks.

David Jacobs
Web Developer
http://www.skywalker.com