Flasher Archive

Subject: RE: FLASH: How did Kimble do that?
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:22:27 +0100

At 11:47 AM 6/30/99 -0700, you wrote:

> Even so, if he did do that how did he get it so it had a perfect tail that
> went from big to small as he moved and the animation changed.
>
> Would anyone have an example of how this is done?

I think it's just in the tween of the movie clip used. But possibly he used the
scheme I described where the button is inside the movie clip (rather than
Dorian's scheme, which is actually an easier way). on rollover, the tween can
become visible, then stop. The button would have a second action, on RollOut
Play, which would make the movie clip move again, to the end of the tween,
where the object becomes small and disappears. I didn't look that closely at
Kimball, but you can do very complex things with this scheme.

I made one where every button hit is counted, and after a certain number the
main timeline moves ahead to a frame where the mouseover effect changes, so
it's a whole new effect after the visitor plays for awhile. To see this, you
can download the .swf at the Flasher ftp space: 206.107.180.51, log in as
anonymous, your email address is your password, and go to DartFrogMedia and get

glow06.swf.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.