Subject: Re: UKNM: big ISP news
From: Sam Michel
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 17:12:05 +0100

At 13:42 02/06/98 +0100, Richard Houston wrote:
>If this is true, then it's a very bold move.
>Is it confidence, or desperation?

Making some bold (and highly over-simplified assumptions)....

say, VirginNet have 100,000 subscribers at 10 pounds/month/subscriber
is a basic income of: 12 million pounds...

If they're going to make that from advertising/sponsorship alone, it would
appear to be a giant chunk of the UK spend on marketing online?

Do they have some special secret, I wonder? Or have I missed
something....thoughts?

><QUOTE>
>Virgin Net to offer free Internet access:
>Internet service provider Virgin Net is expected to announce tomorrow
>that it is to offer free Internet access to all. The move will shake up other
>ISPs such as Demon and BT, who will be forced to adopt similar schemes
>of their own to compete. Revenue will come from advertising and premium
>services. (1/6)
></QUOTE>
>
>Richard Houston
>Consultant
>Webmedia Group Ltd
>
>T: +44 (0)171 494 3177
>F: +44 (0)171 434 1304
>E: richardatwebmedia [dot] com

Toodle Pip

Sam
Webmedia Group, 21 Noel St, London, W1V 3RD
T: 0171 494 0812 F: 0171 434 1304 E: samatwebmedia [dot] com
ICQ Pager: 4561042
Webmedia: http://www.webmedia.com
ShockeR: http://www.shocker.com