Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: dodgy ideas ... this is
From: Chris Dickens
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 16:25:57 +0100

OK - some of the problems our Intranet clients have owned up to (and there
could be more!).

Personal e-mail abuse to Intranet webmasters - flamings etc.

With web access intranets particularly - large scale distribution of porn.

In larger corporations - the publishing of 'vanity sites' by
individuals/departments that undermine established brand guidelines and
intranet standards.

Browser and network limitations (usually implemented by the corporate IT
department) have resulted in the delivery of sites that do not meet the
expectations of the desk-top user.

In terms of 'capturing the imagination', we are seeing the trade-off between
functionality vs.. design for the more well established 'high maintenance'
sites that we are working on (some are over 2 years old).

The sponsors of Pilot sites are looking for high quality design at the
'showcase' stage of their Intranet development process. (This is not always
the case however - a major Information Management site that we are building
is driven almost totally by functionality, information management and ease
of publishing/editing by site users. Design input was relatively
unimportant.)

As our client's appreciation of intranet content management grows we are
increasingly being asked to deliver work more rapidly and efficiently -
speed and costs are becoming key drivers - client's are expecting us to
re-cycle skills and applications learnt during the pilot phase.

Does this sound at all familiar.....?

Chris Dickens
Client Services Director
Module Communications Group Ltd