Subject: RE: UKNM: Promiting Web Sites without spending Millions
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:41:44 GMT

On Sunday, March 14, 1999 12:48 AM, Tim Dunton [SMTP:timatglobalgold [dot] co [dot] uk]
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone give me some advice and maybe tips on promiting web sites
> without spending millions launching a nation wide campaign? We have already
> tried targetted emailing and links swaps which have given us very good
> results although we are looking for ideas to push traffic much higher.

If increased traffic is the sole objective, running a competition and promoting
it through somewhere like http://www.loquax.co.uk (a good starting point, but
there are lots of similar sites) will almost certainly bring in lots of
visitors. But bear in mind they will be there to win some free stuff, not
because of the content of your site, although many will have a look around
whilst they are there. However, if you can get them to opt-in to a mailing list
as a result of entering the competition, then you may get a high percentage of
them returning when you send out an update email which _is_ related to the
content of your site.

This is a rough and ready solution that won't break the bank. It is not perfect
by any means, and may even be highly inappropriate depending on the nature of
the web site that is running the competition. Sorry for over-emphasising that,
but if I didn't, this thread would run for years...

Robin
--
Robin Edwards
Clockworx Design Limited