Subject: UKNM: RE: Brand-building banners
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 11:18:32 GMT

> That's my point! That degree of creativity for TV ads is mega-expensive.
You
> could produce a small feature film cheaper. To do Flat Eric or Bud on web
> only would be a fraction of the cost, with a much bigger audience than any
> TV network anywhere in the world would provide.
>
> One day someone in some big fancy ad agency and/or
beer/tentcloth/razorblade
> company will cotton on (pun not intended) to this fact and start ordering
> the big guns to sort it.

But, the interesting thing is that, in many cases, the 'best' (marked by -
'I'm prepared to sit through this without throwing beer-nuts at the TV
screen' score) adverts are not the most effective. Flat Eric is a prime
example.... everyone wanted the toy, no-one wanted the jeans!

The truth is that Banner ads are perfect for lazy marketers who can't be
bothered to integrate their services into other sites and actually deliver
value to the end-user. That is why, in about three years' time, affiliate
marketing will be the real-deal - because the
'affiliate' site will work and sweat over producing QUALITY click-throughs
with EFFECTIVE results rather than just splashing another oblong flashing
thing at the top of that page that gets in the way.