Subject: Re: UKNM: browser compatibility - that old chestnut
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:20:15 +0100

Ben Scott-Robinson wrote:

> Just a little rant, since Jungle reared it's head briefly in passing.
>
> Has anybody looked at jungle.com in a level 3 browser? In Netscape 3 it's a total mess, with
> misalignment on the frames, and a page full of code greeting the unwary visitor... frankly I find
> it incredible that a site as massively backed and much hyped as Jungle has fallen foul of an
> issue so basic that any back bedroom html jockey worth his salt knows to avoid/prepare
> for...

a quick scout of the last months stats for one of the sites that I run
(uk-based, very heavily targeted at uk audience) reveals that v3
browsers account for 16% of our user base. and I'm strong reasons to
believe that we may have a more strongly v4+ biased audience than
average.

I think the problem is that there are a lot of people out there
developing who are not, as you say, "worth their salt".

I have to point people at http://www.useit.com on an almost daily basis.

stefan

--
/**