Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Email ASP
From: Ben Thompson
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:34:47 GMT

Um,

Aimee, eCircle is merely a UK version of Egroups, Smartgroups.... They
provide mailing list based discussions (and mailing list management using a
closed modorator only can post system) with a web frontend that allows group
members to post messages and view the archive. Mind you, considering most
people I know use Hotmail and elk for personal mail I've never really
understood the point of the mailing list side of these sites.

Paul is looking for a service provider that can provide a hotmail type
system with zingin's desired look and feel. Now I'm not sure who he needs to
speak to, Commtouch appear to be the favourites but I hope he realises how
difficult it will be to move the content (saved and unread mail) and
membership detail (name and password) from coconut to whatever the new
system will be. I mentioned it to some techies earlier today and the most
usable reply was that it would be expensive (possibly doable but expensive).
Sadly, web-based mail is one of those systems where once you have it, you're
stuck with it unless you close it down. In zingin's case I hope this is not
the case but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ben