Subject: UKNM: RE: Re: Brand-building banners
From: Richard Johnson
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:10:18 GMT

Reply to: RE: Re: Brand-building banners

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:20:44 +0000
From: Felix Velarde <felixathead-newmedia [dot] com>
Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Brand-building banners

thanks! would you agree that if you cannot quantify the return on
investment precisely then it is not worth spending your money on? I
have yet to see any audit that shows measurable shift in brand
perception leading to greater actual sales for banners, although I am
daily exposed to such things for web sites and on-line PR campaigns.

If banners cannot justify their existence in measurable terms, they
are riding a wave of hype that cannot be sustained.

We've tried (honestly). The only banners designed for brand awareness
that I can actually point to by my own agency that have worked have
been for a charity, and they only justified their cost because they
were done for free.

I don't disagree that they can be successful - I have colleagues who
run campaigns successfully (although their production houses are in
timbuktu or somewhere and are making about a pound a day, subsidised
by the above the line budget). I just find them irritating, generally
bad for brands, costly and frankly there are much better ways of
spending your money. But I guess I'll have to concede that there will
always be a market for them, in the same way there's a market for
those dire DRTV ads that tell you how many people they have waiting
in the call centre just to give you a free carriage clock when call
right now.

again, if it ain't certain, how can you possibly sell them as a business
tool?

(says i having spent 94-96 selling creative=memorable without a shred
of quantitative proof!)

have a good day

felix

Hi Felix

Are you an accountant?

Of course, as marketers, we are selling things where success is sometimes
difficult to quantify. In the wider context, apart from banners, the
effect of successful PR is very difficult to measure, for example - you
might
try number of mentions, column inches or postive v negative mentions.
But we had an example of a release we did last October to the nationals and
key regionals which was used in the Brighton local paper in the following
February! We have little control over the placement or over other events
in the surrounding world.

So we have therefore to sell our clients a dream, a vision, a belief. If
they trust us - they've seen our track record or they believe we are
right - they will come with us. Even the measurement of success is
subjective, but that's about handling their expectations correctly. There
may be
branches of marketing that purport to be scientific, but getting the mix
right is an art.

You may therefore say that we're lucky if we achieve a result under these
conditions, but as American golfer Lee Trevino once said, "Funny how the
more I practice the luckier I get."

best wishes

Richard