Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Re: Waitrose man in The Guardian
From: Martin Lloyd
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:39:13 GMT

> urbanfetch didn't have any. Tesco do so I think they should offer a 1 hour
> service and sell the kind of FMCG that Urbanfetch were selling and that
made
> them so successful, even if they couldn't sustain it. I just wish Tesco
> thought it too.

Apparently its a logistics truism (any experts out there shout me down)
that a man in a van making a delivery costs about 15 quid per delivery.
Many of the supermarkets getting into this business are doing so on the
basis of future returns or strategic objectives (Asda view delivering in
London as a cheap way to start competing with big retail chains down south
without having to do any of that peaky planning permission stuff, stealth
shopping they call it)

I'd love to see home delivery grocery shopping stay, but I don't think its
a sure bet yet. One hour delivery for non-premium goods may yet prove to
be a quick way to lose truck loads of cash.

We await the fulfillment genius who can make our e-commerce dreams come
true ;-)

Regards

Martin Lloyd
STRATEGIST