Subject: Re: UKNM: Brand-building banners
From: Mike Zeederberg
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:31:54 GMT

The problem is reach : If you're targeting a local market, running a big
budget
TV commercial on 4 channels at prime time will ensure that you reach about
95%
of your target market. (And you know the ad will work on half of them,
you're
just not sure which half!) With the web, because there is such a diversity
and
fragmentation of the market, to get that sort of reach is very difficult.
And if
your ad is a brand building exercise (like the frogs and flat eric), you've
got
much better frequency and reach in mass media. Even if you've got a high
penetration of the internet into a market, (and it's only just breaking the
50%
mark), it's hard to compete with the ease of reaching a huge market for
relatively low execution costs in terms of serving it. That's why the big
money
still goes to mass media....

Cheers
Mike

(It's a FANTASTIC day in Sydney today...!)

Ray Taylor wrote:

> Ashley Pomeroy <arpattermisoc [dot] org>

> > exchange for free programmes<<<<
> >
> > Yes, by leaving the room and/or changing channel when the appear...
> <snip> ... there are exceptions - the Budweiser beer frog thing, and good
> > old Flat Eric - but they're very, very rare, and I wouldn't sit down
> through
> > an ad break just for that.
>
> That's my point! That degree of creativity for TV ads is mega-expensive.
You
> could produce a small feature film cheaper. To do Flat Eric or Bud on web
> only would be a fraction of the cost, with a much bigger audience than any
> TV network anywhere in the world would provide.
>
> One day someone in some big fancy ad agency and/or
beer/tentcloth/razorblade

http://uk2.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=photo&scale=10000&X=532500&Y=18