Subject: Re: UKNM: Email marketers
From: Nick Gilbert
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:28:58 GMT

How many times has anyone on this list received an unsolicited email and
actually responded to it i.e.bought something/visited a web site and clicked
on a banner?

I'm not going to say we haven't done it before - we did in the early days
(1997). But ultimately there was no way of measuring the response. Did the
people who received our email go on to visit our site? Who knows?
Furthermore, we received a not insignificant number of angry emails. Did
those angry recipients then go on to tell their friends and acquaintances
about their experience of our site? Maybe, maybe not.

I don't know about anyone else, but to my mind, unsolicited email is the
lowest form of marketing - lower even than junk mail where at least the
sender has gone to the expense of producing and mailing the letter. As for
opt-in email, that's a different kettle of fish but show me a decent opt-in
list that accurately reflects the market you're targetting and I want to
know about it.

So there you go. My thoughts for the day.

Cheers,
Nick
NewsNow.co.uk

At 09:53 23/11/00 +0000, you wrote:

>Although technically spam is any mail which is repeated over and over
>again, I think that dullness is the signifier. Dull stuff is marketing,
>semi-interesting stuff (porn, pyramid schemes, 'Help Save the Brazilian
>Rainforests' and 'Beware of GoodTimes') is spam.
>
>I think people assume that 'multi-level marketing' schemes, anything which
>has 'THIS IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!' in the second line, and adverts for Horny
>Belinda's WebCam are spam, although amusing to read. I delete this, and
>add the sender to my procmail filter. I don't know why they bother -
>perhaps it's satire.
>
>Standard dull 'Hello and welcome to the N newsletter - lots of promotional
>guff, plus a competition' email would be marketing.
>
>Does anybody jump for glee when the recieve a mail from a company with
>'Dear [clientname]' at the top, and feel a wave of good cheer as they read
>about their opportunity to 'source and buy professional services and
>register for FREE!', or what?
>
>-
>"In the land of the blind, the blindest man is king"
>Ashley Pomeroy - arpatslab [dot] org - http://www.ashleypomeroy.com/

Nick Gilbert
NewsNow Publishing Ltd.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7471 0400
Fax: +44 (0)20 7471 0401
- http://www.NewsNowDirect.com -
Tailored News for YOUR Web Site or Intranet
- http://www.NewsNow.co.uk -
Probably The Best News Aggregation
Web Site in the World

(Current affairs, IT, business & finance,
entertainment and sports news from around the
globe updated every five minutes)

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive
computer.